As this decade comes to a close, I can't help but look back and smile at everything that has happened over the past ten years. I've grown in ways I never expected, and I've made accomplishments I'm truly proud of. But it didn't always feel like I was on the right path. You know how the saying goes...
"Hindsight is 2020."
I was challenged. I reached goals. I failed. I adapted. I surprised myself. The things that were toxic or no longer serving me were purged from from my life. It was painful... but I can see now that it all made me better than I've ever been.
Reaching goals teaches us that the only thing that can truly limit us are our own minds. Grief teaches our hearts how to heal-- how to be present and full of gratitude. Failure shows us how to get back up when there is no other choice. Each struggle is a lesson.
When I was going through my yoga-teacher training, I became interested in the idea of mantras and affirmations. How is it that saying positive words out loud can somehow make them true-- hold us more accountable? That is magic. So I created my own affirmation to get me through the tough bits of life. Every time I feel challenged, I say:
Everything good I can possibly dream of is going to come true. I deserve it, I'm worthy and no one can take it away from me (not even me). I'm a child of God, better every day, and the best is yet to come. I am open to and ready for new and wonderful experiences.
Instead of placing judgments on the past ten years or putting expections on the ten years to come, I hope we can all remember to not let the lessons go unlearned.
Here are a few of my takeaways from the past decade:
- Health is too precious to waste. Use it while you have it, and never take it for granted.
- No one can steal what was truly meant for you, so if you lose something, let it go! This applies to jobs, relationships, parking spaces, etc.
- Don’t allow anyone to get away with treating you like a question mark when you are unquestionably an exclamation point!
- Complete your bucket list before you kick the bucket!
- Everything happens for a reason.